Wednesday, February 11, 2009

And the answer is. . .

As many of you know, my little monkey has been sick a few times. We have been going through ALOT of tests to find out what is making him sick. And now for the results. . . He's got two things going on. First- Allergies- pretty much to any thing that you can find in the south. Dust, grass, trees, mold, etc. These allergies cause asthma. Second- He has an genetic disorder called IgA deviancy. What does that mean? (I would google it to get the details, I can't spell all of that medical stuff) Pretty much your blood makes two kinds of antibodies- IgG and IgA. The IgA ones help to fight off infections in the "severe" areas like the lungs and GI track. He does not produce alot of the IgA antibody. Which causes him to have an upset stomach and upper respiratory infections. (Hey, this is sounding familiar) It's a pretty common condition, one in about 500 kids have it. So, now we know what's going on. Now what can we do about it? Nothing. Yep, that's right. The allergies can be treated. Right now we are waiting before starting shots. The IgA? Not treatable. Isn't that nice? Why even tell me that he has it?

It's times like this when I know the Lord is watching out for me and my family. My mind keeps going over all of the terrible things that he could have had and has been tested for. We are blessed. True we can't do anything for his condition but it's not that bad. I can live with it. He can LIVE with it. The Lord really does watch out for me and I want to thank him for this blessing.

4 comments:

Christina MC said...

Ever see John Travolta in the movie "The Boy in the Bubble"?....just an idea. Give the monkey kisses for me.

Carl and Starla said...

I didn't even know you guys had to have your little cutie go through all these tests. I'm sorry. Delanie has allergies & really bad asthma- which in the south is not fun. Sorry about the IG-well whatever you said, that stinks it's not treatable, but at least he can live with it & your right, you are very blessed.

Marlena said...

I'm glad you know what it is now... so, you're not going to be moving out of the south now are you?

mamasteph said...

I'm so glad they finally figured it out--sometimes figuring out what it is is half the battle! I wish there was more that could be done, but at least you know you are prepared! Let me know if you need anything at all!